Picture Credit ~ bettycrocker.com
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bag (14 oz) sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 1/3 cups lightly packed)
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line 1 large or 2 small cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper.
- In 1-quart saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract.
- In large bowl, combine sweetened coconut and 1 cup of the unsweetened coconut. Pour sugar mixture over coconut; beat with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed. Add cream cheese and egg whites; beat on low speed until blended.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut in shallow bowl. With moistened hands, firmly shape rounded tablespoonfuls of coconut mixture into balls; roll in unsweetened coconut to coat. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, at least 30 minutes. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.